Will India Have 100 Internet Unicorns by 2025? What Industry Stalwarts Say
3 May 2019 7:48 AM GMT
Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma, angel investor Rajan Anandan, Kalaari Capital MD Vani Kola, and others highlight the growth of Internet startup space in India.
- He tells Gadgets 360 that India has become sizeable enough for holding a large number of companies that can grow to be unicorns.
- The startup ecosystem obviously needs the government's support to grow and the people Gadgets 360 spoke with said the Indian government has provided that.
- "The reach-out from Indian technology being built locally and going to global markets and bringing back good things is good," Sharma of Paytm tells Gadgets 360.
- That's the ultimate frontier because to build a consumer Internet company that's very global, you have to win on the product, understand local user needs, and understand all kinds of things," he says.
- Hans Tung, the Managing Partner of venture capital firm GGV Capital, who was an early Flipkart investor and is one of the key investors in Snapdeal , says India is a great market for a startup looking for global expansion.
- "Basically, if you want to build a massive startup ecosystem, you will have to have both a large domestic market and the ability to build global businesses," he states.