Unlike Facebook, Twitter is a ghost town for political ads in India so far
11 March 2019 10:27 PM GMT
The only political ads seen are from media organisations.
- India’s politicians and political parties don’t seem to be buying ads on Twitter just yet, even as parties are pumping money into Facebook advertising.
- As of yesterday (March 11), Indian content is now visible on Twitter’s Ad Transparency Centre: an archive that displays promoted tweets that have been run over the past week.
- Quartz searched the archive’s records to see if it showed any ads being run by major politicians and political parties, and could not find a single one.
- While Twitter so far remains a ghost town for political ads, Facebook, which recently rolled out its own ad archive in India, is far from it.
- For example, while Facebook’s archive allows you to search for all ads that mention the words “prime minister Narendra Modi,” there is no way to run such a query on Twitter’s archive.