Tech Startup Founders: The Data Story
15 April 2019 8:10 AM GMT
Bala Srinivasa and Yash Jain
- We broke up the analysis along a few major dimensions -– work experience, academic background, sectors, business model choices, fund raising, and exits.
- The average work experience of the Indian founder who has raised $2M or more since 2005 is around 10 years.
- The bubble sizes represent capital raised and are evenly spread across the length of Y axis across years, suggesting that there is not a strong correlation between funding raised and work experience of founders.
- In Enterprise Software & Tools which includes all SaaS companies such as Freshdesk, and Networking companies such as Aryaka, many founders (43%) cut their teeth at global tech companies (Microsoft, Amazon) or Indian majors (Infosys, Wipro).
- This list of the top 10 platforms shows that tech companies and consulting companies (Mckinsey and BCG) are major contributors to the Indian start-up-ecosystem.
- In our next post we'll discuss founder academic backgrounds and data derived relationships to funding, business models, and exits.