India’s Times Internet isn’t ceding ground to US rivals Facebook and Google – TechCrunch
1 May 2019 12:19 AM GMT
The aggressive push by Silicon Valley companies and Chinese firms to win India, one of the last great growth markets, has decimated many local businesses in recent years. With each passing day, Amazon is closing in on Walmart-owned Flipkart?s lead on the e-commerce space. Uber is fighting with Ola for the tentpole position of the [?]
- The subsidiary of 181-year-old Bennett Coleman and Company Limited (popularly known as Times Group) operates more than three dozen properties, including newspaper Times of India, online outlet Indiatimes, advertisement business Colombia, venture arm Tventures, and streaming services Gaana and MX Player .
- The Times of India, the country's most read newspaper and news website, alone has 212 million monthly active users, up by 44% since last year.
- Gaana, which raised $115 million from Tencent and others last year, reached 100 monthly active users in March this year, the service announced last week.
- Its own advertising business, called Colombia, now supplements some advertisement on its network and is used by more than a dozen outside brands including Ola, ABP News, and Hotstar.
- So in recent years, Times Internet has announced a number of subscription services across many of its properties.