How TartanSense is Building Small Robots for Small Farms in India - AgFunderNews
11 April 2019 11:20 AM GMT
TartanSense builds small land-based robots for small farms and smallholder farmers initially focused on pesticide application.
- "As a trader on Wall Street, I had all the data in the world to make informed decisions, whereas in agriculture, farm managers can't tell you why they are using one fertilizer versus another.
- "There's this idea of agriculture not making money in India; there is money to be made but precision agriculture is required," he tells AgFunderNews.
- In an effort to bring more data to Indian farmers and inform their decision making, Rao started by deploying drones.
- With these insights in mind, Rao pivoted and founded TartanSense, to build small land-based robots for small farms (and smallholder farmers), initially focused on pesticide application.
- "I want to democratize this technology that farmers in developed markets are starting to experience and make it affordable for smallholder farmers across emerging markets," says Rao.