How Ajay Chacko Got Arre Ready For India’s Original Digital Content Boom
10 April 2019 4:24 AM GMT
Open OTT platform Arre turned 3 last week and in this time it has gone from being the first home grown mover to now producing content for top OTT players.
- With its immense smartphone user base, it is expected to become the second largest video-viewing audience of500 Mn by 2020 from the current 250 Mn, according to EY.
- Although this trend has been catalysed by the entry of US companies such as YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video, India has seen an explosion of homegrown content platforms such as Disney's Hotstar, MX Player, Eros Now, Voot, Alt Balaji and ZEE5.
- Put simply, Arre is an open OTT platform which not only creates original video content distributed through its app and website, but also for other video streaming services such as Hotstar and Amazon Prime Video.
- The rise and penetration of international streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video in India has meant that the Indian players such as Arre are not just making original content but also acting as feeders to this growth.
- Chacko saw that the core consumption driver for OTT would be original content and started synergising Arre's resources accordingly and at the same time also invested into its existing and new franchises whether it was video or audio.
- Besides producing shows for other platforms through Arre Studio, Arre makes its money through branded content or ad-funded programming, and through licensing or syndication deals.