Disaster survivor brings AI solutions to Asian insurance
25 March 2019 12:33 AM GMT
One Concern founder begins regional expansion in Japan with Sompo tie-up
- One Concern was preparing to enter college and living in his native Kashmir when a massive earthquake struck the region, killing more than 70,000 people.
- "That was the whole reason I started thinking about earthquakes all the time," Wani said, recalling how the scale of damage prompted him to study structural and earthquake engineering in college.
- In a joint project with the World Bank, for instance, One Concern is creating a data set that covers the built environment of Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh.
- Chinese startup ZhongAn Online P&C Insurance , for instance, uses AI to create affordable, short-term insurance policies, rapidly process insurance claims, and handle customer queries via chatbot.
- One Concern has partnered with Tokyo-based Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Insurance, one of the biggest insurers in the country, for its push into Asia.