Tragic Bloodshed in Kashmir: Army Colonel, Major, and Police Officer Sacrificed in Brave Fight Against Terrorists

Tragic Bloodshed in Kashmir: Army Colonel, Major, and Police Officer Sacrificed in Brave Fight Against Terrorists

In a tragic incident in Kashmir's Anantnag district, an Army colonel, a major, and a deputy superintendent of Jammu and Kashmir police lost their lives in a gunfight with terrorists. The encounter took place in the Kokernag area of the district, where security forces had launched a search operation based on intelligence inputs. Colonel Manpreet Singh, Commanding Officer of 19 Rashtriya Rifles, Major Ashish Dhonack, and Deputy Superintendent Humayun Bhat were critically injured during the operation and unfortunately, succumbed to their injuries.

The security forces, including GoC 15 Corps Lt General Rajiv Ghai and DGP Dilbag Singh, rushed to the spot to assess the situation. The encounter had initially started on Tuesday evening but was called off during the night. However, it resumed on Wednesday morning after receiving information about the terrorists' presence in a hideout. During the gunfight, Colonel Singh, demonstrating exceptional bravery, attacked the terrorists but was fatally injured. Major Dhonack and Deputy Superintendent Bhat also suffered bullet injuries and eventually lost their lives. The three individuals were declared dead in the hospital.

It was revealed that Deputy Superintendent Bhat, who had recently become a father, succumbed to heavy blood loss. The banned Resistance Front, suspected to be a shadow group of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba, claimed responsibility for the attack. Officials believe that these terrorists are the same group that had previously targeted army personnel, resulting in the deaths of three soldiers in the Kulgam district. Simultaneously, in another encounter in Jammu and Kashmir's Rajouri, security forces eliminated two terrorists.

During the ongoing operation, a significant quantity of warlike stores, including medicines with Pakistan markings, were recovered, reinforcing the escalating tensions in the region. This incident has dealt a major blow to the security forces operating in Kashmir. The encounter signifies a potential shift in tactics by militants, relocating their bases from Kashmir to the Poonch-Rajouri axis in Jammu province. The situation is being closely monitored as security forces work tirelessly to curb further attacks and neutralize any remaining threats.

Next Story
Share it
To Top